Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Another year of kindergarten

Janey's teachers talked to me yesterday about having Janey repeat kindergarten. I had figured she would repeat a grade or two at some point, but was kind of thinking it would be later on, but it makes a lot of sense to do it now. The only thing that really got me was that she won't be with the same kids. I really, really love some of the kids in her class. They are used to her and good to her, and it's a big part of why I like inclusion. But I know it's a huge jump to 1st grade. If Janey wasn't making any progress at all, I would figure the grade didn't matter and would say I wanted her just to stay with her friends, but lately she seems to be making progress. She is recognizing at least the letter "A", is sometimes showing she knows the difference between 1 and 2, she has been very happy this last month, and so it all makes sense. I love her teachers and I feel happy they want to have her in their class again, and are not in a hurry to move her along. So I agreed to have her repeat. There is a tiny part of me which makes no sense but still feels upset she is "repeating a grade". It's stupid because obviously she is not really going to be doing the same work as the other kids, and she won't understand the difference and indeed will be happy to be in a familiar place, but I have to be honest and say it feels a little sad somehow. But I won't have to worry over the summer about how the next year will go.

No comments: