Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Various thoughts

Janey and I are both sick today. When she is sick, she sleeps for hours. I am realizing today how much I miss her company. She has been talking to me so much more, and although it's often random talk, I look forward to hearing what she has to say!

She got her first real report card, at least as real as preschool report cards go. It was a bit of a downer, of course. Most categories were a "NY" grade, which means "not yet". Some were D, which means developing, and a just a few were S, which means Secure. Her strongest area for sure is the arts, in which everything was an S, and so luckily, her school heavily emphasizes the arts. Her worst area was mathematical thinking, in which almost everything was an NY. I am not that upset over it, as it's a realistic report and they wrote such nice things in the comments section. But I am starting to worry about kindergarten. She won't be able to keep up, I don't think, and I don't want her just to be entertained by aides while the rest of the class learns. I think she can learn, if reached the right way, but what is the right way? How kids with autism learn academics is something I am having trouble finding info on, besides ABA which just isn't going to happen. I want her to learn all she can, while still being happy at school. I guess I will do a lot of it at home, just by talking and reading to her.

She is so lethargic today. In a way it's almost nice, because she wants to be held a lot and we can snuggle, which she usually isn't a bit fan of, but I hate to see her sick.

No comments: