Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Better Than Typical

Trying on a cape!
It's interesting that I am a lot more cautious when writing about the extremes of Janey's behavior than about the everyday parts of it.  I'm always a little wary of being completely honest about how bad or how good it sometimes gets, although I always do try to be as honest as I can.  But either extreme is something I know can be hard to read about.  I don't want to discourage those with girls like Janey when I write about the toughest times, and I don't want to discourage them by writing about the best times, either, if they are going through tough times.  However, our one night trip last weekend with Janey was so wonderful I feel like I have to share.  And what kept striking me the most is how I imagine it was far BETTER than such a trip would be with a typical almost teenager...

Last Friday after Janey got home from school, we drove out to get her brother Freddy in upstate New York, at Skidmore College where he was finished with his sophomore year.  It's a trip Tony could and has done alone, but I really felt like I needed a change of scenery, so we reserved a hotel room for Friday night.

Janey was completely happy during the whole five hour drive out (it would be three hours without any stops, but we don't roll that way).  We played music the whole time, and she rocked out to a huge variety of tunes.  I love how open she is to music, to songs she hasn't heard before and songs she's heard a million times.  If it has a good beat and is interesting, she likes it, and lets us know (as she does if she doesn't like it!).  She isn't influenced by what's cool, or not cool, or what we want her to like---she likes what she likes (which was proven by the fact one of the songs she got really into on the drive was sung by Justin Beiber, and our feelings about the song didn't matter to her!)  We all discovered we loved a song by The Lemonheads, Janey let us know she's not into Madonna, we all liked the various Nicktoons songs my Slacker Radio app picked, we had a blast.
In awe of Freddy's dorm

When we got to Skidmore, Janey was just about overcome with excitement.  We don't go a lot of places at night, being very early to bed people, and getting out in the parking lot of Freddy's dorm, seeing his dorm tower and the streetlights, taking an elevator up to his room, trying on a cape that was in a box of give-away castoffs in the dorm hall----it was like we had set her up with the ultimate night of fun and thrills.  I kept thinking about how I would have felt about such a trip at her age, or how the boys might have felt.  It's fair to say I wouldn't have been quite so excited over a long drive with my parents to pick someone up---one with no real recreation or treats involved.

The thrilling elevator ride!
Janey loved the hotel, slept well, had fun at the breakfast, was happy in the car, where she several times looked to Freddy and said "It's Freddy!" in pure delight he was with us again, requested french fries but did fairly well waiting for it to be 11 am so they would be available at a rest stop McDonalds---she was great for the ride home almost all the way, until literally the last few minutes when she was sick of driving, as were all of us.

It's funny---it somehow sometimes seems wrong to delight in the GOOD that having a child like Janey brings, and it shouldn't be.  There is much that is good about having a 12 year old that still adores us, that can get excited without self-consciousness about little things like an elevator ride or a Happy Meal, having a child that wants little more in life than family, music and fun.  When Janey is happy, we are all happy, and I am going to try to stop thinking of that with an asterick, thinking "Yes, she's happy, but although being a typical preteen might be tougher, she is missing so much..."  Well, we all are missing something.  What she is missing might be different, but what makes her happy is different too, and we can delight in her happiness without thinking of it as a "despite of" thing.  We are so lucky to have you as a daughter, Janey.




No comments: