Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Unclouded day after

I was discouraged yesterday, as you might have read in the post I wrote.  Last weekend was long, with a lot of screaming and crying from Janey, more than any weekend this summer.  We had gotten used to the sunny Janey.  For so many years, a troubled day with Janey led to a troubled few weeks.  It's hard to believe, to accept, that Janey does recover much more quickly than she used to.  Even after school yesterday, she was happy.  And then there was a "toileting incident", the kind that takes a long time and many loads of laundry to take care of.   I wrote my discouraged post, and linked to it on my Facebook page.  And so many people responded.

I don't think I can ever really explain how much the support of others helps me---others living this life, or those who understand it.  I can't even imagine what it felt like to be a mother like me in the days before the internet.  I would feel, I am sure, like the only person on earth with a life like mine.  Instead, I know there are so many others who get it, who pick me up, who have helped me through some very tough times, who have rejoiced along with me at the good times.  When I woke up this morning, not sure what the day would be like, and read all your comments, read the kind words from Mary and Maura and Catherine and Fab and Kathleen and Maryann and Cynthia and Aileen and John and Rachel and Michelle and Nancy and Shanti and Antti and Grace and Julie and Sophie and Beth---wow.  For some reason I went back and read again about times during Janey's two long hospitalizations, and the overwhelming kindness shown to me by so many then, and I thought about our recent visit to meet Michelle and her wonderful family in person, and I thought about my husband and sons and extended family, and high school friends I have reconnected with on Facebook,  and people like Maryellen, who sat with me during so many days in the hospital---and I was overwhelmed.  I hope you all know how much you mean to me.

 So---today is better.  I had a wonderful morning with Janey before she got on the bus.  She was happy, calm and engaged.  We did our favorite walk, to the "ice cream store", and she picked out not chips or ice cream but a jar of salsa, and we waited for the bus listening to "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair" and we smiled and hugged each other and enjoyed the summer weather as we waited.  It felt like the unclouded day in the song Janey loves so much.


No comments: