Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Think about what you CAN do...

This morning, Janey was watching a show she likes, Ni Hao, Kai-Lan. There is a little social message to every episode, and this one included a song to illustrate the point "Don't think about what you CAN'T do, think about what you CAN do!" It made me think about what Janey can do, and reminded me to be grateful for those things.

She can walk---there was a time when she wasn't walking at nearly two years that we weren't sure that would happen. She can see and hear---very well, from what we can tell. She can eat and breathe on her own---I know kids that need help with those things. She can talk a little---not every child with autism functioning at her level or higher even can talk at all. She can hug us and smile and be happy. She can express her needs and wants on a basic level. She can sing and enjoy music. She is healthy. She can dance and jump and splash in puddles. She can look at books. She can pat our cats. There's a lot she can do.

Now, don't worry, I'm not turning into a happy, cheerful, everything is a blessing blogger. That's not me. But from being part of those on the slow boat to Holland (if you travel with me, you know what that means), I've gotten to meet a lot of families with kids that have a lot of different abilities and disabilities, and I know very well that I have a lot to be thankful for. As my friend Maryellen said when I talked to her about this today, that doesn't mean it's easy, or make it easier, but it makes me keep in mind the things I need to never take for granted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, ive been reading through your blog and it has really touched me. my sister is 8 and she also has autism. in many ways, what your write about reminds me alot of her.
i just wanted to say that ive added your blog to my reading list and i cant wait to read more heartwarming posts :)

its nice to know that there are other people going through the same challenges as my family,

thankyou xxx

heather