Janey likes to keep us guessing. She's good for our brains that way, like they say if you do a lot of crossword puzzles it can stave off brain cell loss. Here's a few of the unfathomable Janey questions...
1. Why do legs always have to be straight? Janey can't stand anyone's legs to be crossed, or tucked under them, or bent at all, really. She won't freak out over this usualy---she'll just let you know, by trying to straighten them over and over and over and over, until it's just not worth it and you put your legs the way she wants them.
2. Why do lights sometimes all have to be on and sometimes off? When Janey wakes in the night, she needs to change the state of the lights. If they are off (as I prefer), they all need to be turned on. If they are on, often they need to be turned off. One odd time she was asleep and we were up watching a movie. She woke just for a minute, went over to the living room light and switched it off and then on, and then went straight back to bed and sleep.
3. Why do tops sometimes need to be taken off and then put back on? This morning was an example of that. Janey took off her pajama top at least 10 times, and then came over to me screaming because she wanted it back on. I did it without comment the first 9 times, but then tried to talk to her about it a little. Not a good choice---her scream let me know this wasn't open for discussion.
4. Why does Janey ask for certain TV shows and then freak out when you put them on? This is a constant issue. Janey will ask for, say, "Kipper's Playtime". You put it on Netflix, and at the first bit of it, Janey will get hysterical, grab the Netflix remote and madly change the show, as if you were trying to force her to watch something horrible. The same happens with books. Janey will bring me a book to read, I start to read it, and all hell breaks loose.
5. Why does Janey ask to have her nails cut---a grooming activity most kids don't like---constantly?
6. Why do all pillows have to be on the floor? I have been on a sewing machine frenzy, making throw type pillows. Janey likes these, but she likes then to be on the floor. No matter how often we put them back on the couch or bed, next time we look, they are all on the floor.
7. Why does Janey twist up her fingers? She so often puts them in the oddest positions, like pretzels. It looks very uncomfortable to me.
8. Why does Janey almost always ignore the cats? It's like they are invisible.
I could probably go on for hours---there are so many little habits or behaviors of Janey I truly don't understand. I am sure there are reasons, and I have some theories, but overall, they are a mystery. It's one of the reasons I most wish I could communicate better with Janey. I'd love to know the whys.