Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2019

With love to the school I didn't want

Today is Janey's last day of 8th grade, the last day at the school she's attended since the middle of 3rd grade.  And I am looking back with love on her years at a school I didn't want her to go to.

Janey and her classmates
Until late in 3rd grade, Janey went to an inclusion school.  It was the same school William and Freddy went to, and it was a special place.  Each classroom had a regular ed teacher as well as a special ed teacher.  Kids with all kinds of special needs were included, completely. I loved the school, and I loved the concept.  I loved everything about it, right up until they couldn't include Janey any more.

Janey getting her diploma!
The time of transition to the school Janey is attending her last day of today was very, very hard for us.  It was the time I found out that the phrase "crying yourself to sleep" can be literal.  I had pictured Janey at the inclusion school until she was 22.  I had been involved with the school for 13 years at that point, and I wanted it to be 13 more.  But I know now that it was the right decision to move her.  Inclusion is wonderful, but it doesn't work for all kids.  At the time Janey was moved, she was often screaming all day, lashing out, pulling hair, biting.  She had the love and support of her classmates and teachers, but she was far from happy, and she was (although I know you aren't supposed to worry about this, but I do) keeping the other kids from learning.  She wasn't included, because it wasn't safe to include her, and so an inclusion school for her was not at all inclusive.

So we moved her to her current school.  It was hard.  But from the very first day, we were made to feel welcome there.  It was a different feel of school.  It's a much bigger school, less family-feeling, but it was a place that accepted Janey, and embraced her.

Help when she needs it
Janey's early years at her new school were not smooth ones.  I've never, ever forget the call---the day her behavior was so extreme that she went right from school to the emergency room, and then to many days at a psychiatric facility.  But I'll also never forget the love and caring the school showed her at that time---how her teacher rode in the ambulance with me, how the ABA director drove the long drive to where Janey was placed to see her and talk to the staff, and most of all, how the school welcomed her back.  That is, I can see now, what scared me most.  Janey had already been once cast out for being simply too...autistic.  I was braced for it to happen again, for the school to say they simply couldn't handle her.  But they seemed surprised I would even ever think that.  They were committed to Janey.

Music bonded these two!
Over the years at Janey's school, we have had so many teachers that were simply amazing, in their dedication, skill and love.  Beyond that, the staff---the classroom paraprofessionals, the therapists, the program leaders, the principal---wow. They are all people who have chosen to work with autistic kids, and beyond that, people that very obviously love our kids, people that get them, people that see them as the coolest, most interesting kids around (which they are).
Another wonderful friend of Janey's

Love and a bond you can see
We went last week to Janey's moving up ceremony.  I can't even tell you how many different people made a point to talk to me about Janey, about the special routines they had with her, about her love of music, about what a kick they get out of her.  It struck me so much how they were talking to me about the same Janey I see---a cool, quirky, at times stubborn and challenging but unique young woman.

And so today, again I am crying a bit about Janey and her school.  This time, it's not about her being sent there, but about her leaving.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart to the Joseph Lee School for caring for and loving my Janey.






No comments: